Rane Aria

Just reading, drawing,crocheting and enjoying naps

The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

The Paper Magician - Charlie N. Holmberg

As I started to read The Paper Magician, I found that it triggered a old memory of the first time I created a origami crane. I was around nine, it was bright pink btw- and the wings would flap up and down. I remember how fascinated I was that a little piece of paper could create an object such a a bird. Charlie N. Holmberg in the beginning capture the magic of creating something from a thing as simple as a small piece of paper.

Our heroine Ceony Twill find no joy whatsoever in paper. She wanted to work with metal but ending with the boring craft like paper- she sees her dreams just floating away. Not one to dwell on the bad to long Ceony starts to take her new magic craft serious and under the tutelage of her strange teacher Magician Emery Thane, she starts to appreciate paper.
The quiet days are soon over when Mg. Thane takes off for parts unknown and comes back hiding bruises. Then just as quickly a strange woman breaks into the house and pulls of Mg.Thane's heart from his chest. With Thane's life slowly slipping away Ceony takes her new knowledge to face a foe who by a mere touch can kill her.

The Paper Magician (I felt) was separated into two parts, the first set up the magical world with the types of magic and how one gains their craft. This part I felt completely shines with the explore of magic.
Then the second part with Ceony tracking down the villain felt a tad flat. Ceony gets caught into a magical spell and must explore the inner heart of her teacher Thane. I can only liken this as falling down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland as she goes through his memories. You learn a little more about the world and the evil that lurk in the shadows and the dark blood magic. There was one instant where it got a tad graphic and felt out of the line in the already built story.

In the end I felt the story as a whole was sorta sparse with nothing truly solid in the world or the characters as your only given glimpses of who they are and what they are like. In the end it was a nice and breezy read with a cute magical feel and thankfully no cliffhangers but a lot of unanswered questions, that myself will looking forward to in next of the series The Glass Magician.