Rane Aria

Just reading, drawing,crocheting and enjoying naps

Provocateur - Elisabeth Fairchild Set with the backdrop of the Spa Fields riots of 1816 and the Blanket March of 1817. Fairchild paints a far more gritter piece of history then in her other books. Placing the reader in a time of unrest and uneasy, you get a good taste of what an Agent Provocateur job was with a dash of paranormal thrown into the mix. After a faithful meeting Dulcie and Roger seem to always be drawn to the other and with Dulcia gifts of seeing auras and a glimpse into the future and Roger's job in the government throw these two together in a dangerous world where they can only rely on each other. The word epic seem to pop into my mind as I read this book. Spanning over eight years, you see how Dulcie and Roger's paths cross time and again with their attraction and feelings toward the other always lingering longer and longer. I liked this as it's been many of years since I read a romance with the story spread out through many years then taking place in a short amount of time. For those of us who have followed Fairchild's writings, this was the story all fans wanted: Roger's story. He captured the reader through the books of his siblings and finally finding out about him was a real treat. Roger hides behind a cold mask that even effects his own family. It's heartbreaking to see the lengths his scars and fears have taken him, but the job he does is worth while at the cost of his self. He meets his match in Duclie who sees the world very differently from Roger. While she bears scars on the outside and inside due to her gifts, her hope and and faith in the light sees her and Roger through the darkest times. The relationship between Roger and Duclie is one of the more complex I've come across in awhile. You have this big give and take that grates on the nerves but also teases to see what would happen next. Roger has blocked off his family, love ones everything for his demanding mistress: his job. It's not easy to give his heart over to Duclie even when he loves her so greatly. Duclie wants to walk away many, many times from Roger when he just gets up and leaves only to reappear needing her help. Even when Roger turns his back on Duclie, she's there to take on whatever mantle needed in order to help and for me that made Duclie that much stronger instead of a doormat who cries and takes it. Duclie gives back ten fold while using her gifts to help. They do take it to the fine wire to finally admit their true feelings to one another, Roger especially, in the end it was all worth it. This was the first time Fairchild (I've read) wrote a truly sensual sex scene. While more on the mild/warm side then anything explicit, the words were fitting if not somewhat on the purple prose side that was just fun to read. The only glaring problem I had with the overall story was not the story itself but the glaring editing errors. These errors dealt with time elements and dates that would jump in years and giving the reader a pause. While not overly bad it was enough to be truly noticeable. I loved that Fairchild is still writing and this was a true gift to her fans to pen down Roger and Duclie's amazing and beautiful story.