Rane Aria

Just reading, drawing,crocheting and enjoying naps

Lord Endicott's Appetite - Elisabeth Fairchild Many authors now of days push the envelope with stories of hardships and trials the characters have to face, but few push the “mental” hardships and fewer in historical romances like Elisabeth Fairchild’s Lord Endicott’s Appetite did. Not only did she address grief but also depression to the point of suicide of the body. Today we have medicines and clinics to help us deal with our depression and even our grief, or our lack of appetite, something in the period which Lord Endicott Appetite did not. When we lose a love one, one so part of our lives, it takes awhile for the sun to come out for us, and we're able to breathe joy back into our lives and move from our pain and heartbreak. Fairchild does this is a soothing and gentle way that brings tears to the readers eyes as the lead characters both bring joy, love and healing back into one another lives. Jeannette Saincoeur knows the sadness and lost reflected in Lord Julian Endicott’s eyes, for years after the killings of her family and the sole survivor in a nation full of a chaos and war, Jeannette learned the craft of cooking, and became stronger from her losses. Traveling to an unknown land of England with only her wits and cooking skills, Jeannette finds herself on the doorstep of Lord Endicott, who wears his grief of the lost of his wife and child heavily on his shoulders. Understanding his pain as she to feels the same deep lost, she slowly takes away the black veils that cover not only the windows of the Lord Endicott’s home, but also the one that covers his eyes, but first giving him his appetite back, and also her soft understanding. This isn’t an overnight cue-all. It takes baby steps for Jeannette to make a difference in Julian’s life, but you see it in the small things, how she chases away the rain clouds in his eyes and brings back the sunshine. Jeannette is one of those heroines’s that touches a cord within your heart dealing with her own lost she helps Julian with his. She had spunk and fire, but isn’t the ever perfect heroine, she has her imperfections and has learned a great deal from the rich life she one lived, to the life she lives now. Julian blames himself for the lost of his wife in child-birth, thinking if only, if only. Julian shows what depression does to one self, but this doesn’t make him a weakling or a whining baby, it makes him human. Julian holds all his pain within, as it takes away more and more from himself and life. Sometimes it takes an outsider and one whom shares the pain for us to open our eyes again, and Jeannette does this, bringing out more of the gentle and kind Julian from his shell. You start to see the joy and boyish mischief come out of Julian. From hiding up a tree to escape his overbearing sister, to dancing among the apple trees. The story isn’t one sided with just about Julian getting better, Julian also helps Jeannette with her own grief something she’s been holding inside of her for many years now, as he gentle holds her, and the flood of tears is finally able to be released. Through this you start to see the romance blooming between them. In many romance stories you end up having the widow(er) having a bad first marriage, the spouse didn’t love them, they cheated on them, they beat them up etc etc. It isn’t the case with LEA Julian truly loved his first wife, and will never forgot her, and part of his heart and soul will always love her, but he knew there was more then enough room to also love Jeannette and the children he and she would have. This made me happy. Why can’t Julian love his old wife and Jeannette? Why does one have to chose between loving someone whom is gone, and loving someone who carries with them your future? I never understood and still don’t why author’s always seem to carry this theme in their books. I was happy Fairchild didn’t do this, and made Julian that more special to him, because of his great ability to love. I loved Julian as he came out from the shadows of his depression to become a stronger man to in his own right to heal, and love. Fairchild also address class differences, with Jeannette now a cook, not in the upper French class. She doubts if it’s possible for her and Julian and her can truly be together and not wanting him to just use her and toss her away. Many of her fears are very just, (and are feed by Julian’s sister) but her heart leads her back, even when she’s accepted by her old title, this is a moot point as Julian loves her for her, and no matter whom or what she is as she loves Julian for himself. Julian also started to break out when he starts to feel jealousy and anger, this small misunderstanding is very quickly cleared up with Julian * gasp* THINKING IT OUT and following his heart. Another brownie point to Julian: A Hero with a brain! What follows is very sweet and cute as both Julian and Jeannette bare their hearts and souls to one another.Overall: a beautiful story, with leads that deal with not only great lost, but discover greater love. A true gem of a keeper!