Rane Aria

Just reading, drawing,crocheting and enjoying naps

No Man's Mistress

No Man's Mistress - Mary Balogh For the past two years Viola Thornhill life has been peaceful and calm. After picking up the pieces of her life and starting anew, Viola’s life seems almost perfect. Until she meets a handsome stranger at a May Day celebration and is warned by a fortuneteller there, to beware of him as he could destroy her life if she doesn’t snare his heart first. Not taking the warning to heed, Viola finds herself attracted to this stranger and at the end of the fair, kisses from him. Thinking nothing more of this stranger, she’s surprised to see him at her door and telling her that he’s the new owner of her home! Lord Ferdinand Dudley has always had a wild streak in him, always willing to take up any challenge. After he wins in a card game, no less, the picturesque Pinewood Manor, he feels mighty happy for himself. That is until he goes toe to toe with the resident and so called owner of the manor. With the owner scheming along with the neighbors to have him booted out, Ferdinand charms, and outwits anything thrown at him. While trying to fight the growing temptation to his unruly opponent. But when a wager is thrown down by Viola between her and Ferdinand, there’s more at stake then the manor but their hearts are now on the line. It’s hard to have a sequel that can hold up to it’s beloved predecessor, No Man’s Mistress does this and more, holding it’s on. The story takes place four years later after “More Than A Mistress” with Ferdinand the younger brother of Jocelyn. The first half of the book is charming as Viola tries to protect her home by pulling childish pranks to get Ferdinand out, but time and again she can’t help but admire his will to prove her wrong, as slowly she sees he’s not the big bad wolf she thought him to be. Viola’s past haunts and torments her deeply, and to save not only her family but her sense of self, Viola throws down a wager she quickly regrets. I liked Viola, at first I thought she was very childish in trying to kick Ferdinand, then later just down right bullheaded that I wanted to smack her upside the head a few. I felt her running away to many times somewhat tiresome and really dragged down the story toward the end. Plus, how she kept throwing hurtful words into Ferdinand’s face was a low-blow (although the first time he did deserve it!) But as the puzzle pieces fall into place, Viola wasn’t thinking about herself or even her well-being but her beloved family and the shame she felt she would bring to Ferdinand if he knew the truth about her. Ferdinand, Ferdinand...I adore his name as much as I adore him. While his brother was cold and sometimes coming across as unfeeling. Ferdinand is happy-go lucky, but has had his share of past hurts from his parents but mostly his mother which caused him to look at sex differently. Carefree and charming with a innocence about him made him such a great hero, I totally fell in love with him, cried when he cried and hurt when Viola turned him away. Ferdinand was a lot stronger than he first appears, and willing to sacrifice even his heart for his lady love to be happy.. I cheered for Ferdinand when he finally was able to get through Viola’s thick skull. It made me mad that she had such little trust in him, after all he did for her. But leave it to Ferdinand to win any challenge he puts his mind to! The love scenes between Viola and Ferdinand were so touchy and sweet, they were true love scenes in ever form and fashion. Together, both are great and bring something to the table the other lacks. The love between them gives you that warm fuzzy feeling long after. It was also great to revisit the Dudley family, Jocelyn has become a totally different man, showing how much he loves his family and his brother whom he’s very proud of. Makes me wish to see the next gen of Dudleys! I was also happy that the villain got his just desserts by the hands of Ferdinand with some help from his brother.Overall: one of those books that surprise and delight you, that makes you smile and get a little teary eyed at the end as you read the happy ever after of this beloved couple.