Rane Aria

Just reading ,crocheting, and enjoying naps

The 16 Festive Tasks - Tasks for Saturnalia

Tasks for Saturnalia

Tell us: If you could time-travel back to ancient Rome, where would you want to go and whom (both fictional and / or nonfictional persons) would you like to meet?

I had to think a bit about this one. There was people I like to meet from scientists, to philosophers ..then I thought of someone who I came across again recently about Cynic philosophy: Diogenes the Cynic.

I like to meet him, but no doubt I get into a huge argument about our views. I don't view myself as a cynic but then again being a cynic in Diogenes time and mine are like different worlds. He could be an asshole, but sometimes you gotta be one to get ones views across. My favorite story about him and the story of why he carried his lamp. "He used to stroll about in full daylight with a lamp; when asked what he was doing, he would answer, "I am just looking for an honest man." Diogenes looked for a human being but reputedly found nothing but rascals and scoundrels."

He talked shit to Plato and even the guy he was sold to (also threw crap at students of Plato's school) and said to Alexender the Great when he met Diogenes "while Diogenes was relaxing in the morning sunlight Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight."

Diogenes reminds me of those old man jokes of "get off my lawn" but he held his views and could be pretty creative. It be a nice argument I have with him never the less.