Rane Aria

Just reading, drawing,crocheting and enjoying naps

Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea #1) by Jennifer Ellision

Threats of Sky and Sea - Jennifer Ellision

This was like a breathe of fresh air for me, it hit so many points. An amazing story,a strong heroine,court intrigue, and some twists and turns I didn't see coming.
Breena, I felt for and cheered for thoughout the story, she had some sass but didn't overdo to the point of doing some stupid. She step lightly and used her brains to see where everyone stood and watchful. It was heartbreaking some of the choices that lead her to the path she walked, but she kept strong.

The use of elementals might have been done before, but in Jennifer Ellision's hand she gave it a fresh take with a war brewing between countries and a mad if not evilly clever king using everyone as a chess piece on the board. Making the intrigue at times bothersome as you didn't know who stood where. So finding an ally in this backstabbing court was almost a relief!

The romance was given a very light touch, that I can see growing from an attraction to more. I hate me some instalove, so again it was refreshing to see a nice change of pace!

The only true trouble I had was the somewhat blocky narration. Time would skip from days to weeks, so this kinda left one with a skip that you had to take a second to catch up with Breena and her trials.

I greatly enjoyed this, and with the ending leaving me wanting more, I'm looking forward to more from this series.