Rane Aria

Just reading, drawing,crocheting and enjoying naps

This House is Haunted by John Boyne

This House is Haunted - John Boyne

Being the time of year for a nice cozy spooky read. I was happy to have come across a nice Victorian ghost story and with the title alone being a complete spoiler I hoped for a nice read.

This book is pretty standard Gothic novel from a haunted house, scary kids, and a poor overworked underpaid governess stuck cleaning up the whole mess.

Proving once again that the work of a governess is a.) never done b.) sucked royally and c.) needs better health and life insurance

In Eliza Caine's case after the death of her father, she drops everything to rush out to next to nowhere to take a job she knows next to nothing about landing her with two scary kids, a haunted house and no one telling her nothing. Nice start to a new job.

This book is far from scary, leaning more to spooky with nothing keeping me up at night with the need of nightlight or two.

Everything fell into a somewhat predicable format which made the story fly by as I wasn't really surprised with each events, so I was able to sit back and just enjoy the read "This House is Haunted" ends up being a good read for the season.

Regency Tales: Christmas Collection
Gayle Buck
The Wallflower’s Mistletoe Wedding
Amanda McCabe
Professional Reader Frequently Auto-Approved
50 Book Reviews

My Artwork

Visit ranearia's profile on Pinterest.